Giving your friend a tangible expression of kindness is our February focus in Showing Grace as a Way of Life! So, if you have explored someone’s story, offer a tangible expression of care in light of what your friend has shared with you. An expression of kindness might be a note, a symbolic gift, art, a shared experience that shows you heard his/her story. (Hint: If you are thinking of running to your local Christian bookstore for a gift, PLEASE DON’T!)
Here are some ideas that are happening within our body to those outside our church!
• Writing someone a note thanking your friend for entrusting his/her story to you and reflecting what they shared
• Relaxing expectations on someone who reports to you if he/she is experiencing trauma
• Taking on work on the behalf of a fellow employee after their surgery
• Giving a work shirt to the garbage truck driver you have befriended in your neighborhood
• Taking a meal to a neighbor who experienced the loss of his adult son
• Giving a spare car to a friend in need
• Babysitting kids so parents can go on a date
• Giving a gift card that matches a need in the person’s life
• Creating an experience that turns a past wound into a place of healing with others
• Offer input, meet needs, facilitate connections to help a client’s business flourish
• If you are an artist, producing something inspired by the person’s story
• If you are a writer, producing a piece inspired by the person’s story
• If you are a musician, producing a song inspired by the person’s story
• Coaching little league with a friend to intending to lowering the pressure put on the kids
• A doctor celebrates birthdays of his office staff by ordering lunch in, letting the person share about their life, followed by everyone honoring the unique contribution of that staff member
The gift of exploring someone’s story and following it up with a tangible expression of kindness will warm your heart towards your friend and your friend’s heart towards you! When you find a way to express tangibly kindness that you would love to do, AND you think it might take their breath away–then you have an idea that will touch their heart!
This is going to be fun and meaningful!
Posted: 2.22.2016 in Outreach Ministry Share: